[wptab name=’CHRONICLE OF ALTH?TTEN’]
(according to the Heimatbuch of Hostau)
The village of Alth?tten is located on the upper Radbusa river at an?altitude of 530 meters and at the foot of the Eisenberg [Iron?Mountain]. It is six kilometers from Muttersdorf and 2.5 kilometers?from the Bavarian border. Alth?tten owes its beginnings to the oldest?glassworks in the northern Bohemian Forest [B?hmerwald].
Alth?tten must have already established before 1579. A purchase?contract from Kaiser Rudolf and the works-master in Schwanenbr?ckl,?Paul Sch?rer, indicates the old cottage was already there prior to?that. At that time the 789-meter high Eisenberg was already well-known?and reached from Johannesh?tte to Schwarzach. The dams creating the?two ponds [fed from the mountain] are still preserved and maintained?today. A roadway led over one of them which marked the boundary?between the Choden districts of Pfraumberg and Taus. According to a?strong tradition and remaining traces, the glassworks was located?behind the mill.
In 1728 there were only two houses and 12 inhabitants of Alth?tten.?By 1784 there were 11 houses, in 1832 there were already 34 houses?with 278 inhabitants. In 1910 Alth?tten had 39 houses and 360?inhabitants and in the year 1921 there were 49 houses and 390?inhabitants. In 1945 the population stood at 500 and Alth?tten was?the largest village belonging to the Hostau court district.
Alth?tten belonged to the parish of Muttersdorf which was 6 1/2?kilmeters away and separated from Alth?tten by a mountain ridge. The?parish church in Waier, only 1.5 kilometers? away was preferred for?regular services but it was not until 1923 that the pastor, Johann?Jiran, succeeded in making Waier the parish for Alth?tten. The post?office was in Bischofteinitz after 1851, in 1902 it became Hostau and?in 1938, Muttersdorf. It was only after the “Anschluss” that nearby?Waier became the Post Office and had a telephone connection.
The majority of the residents of Alth?tten owned smaller farms and?were also busy as masons, carpenters and unskilled workers. There was?also a rare trade practiced there which was known as?”M?hlenbauerberuf” [Mill-farmer-profession]. The mill-farmers of?Alth?tten worked all along the Radbusa, from Friedrichshof to?Bischofteinitz.
The volunteer firemen in Alth?tten were a busy group. They were?founded in 1900. Josef Helger served as their captain until 1918. The?Musikverein [Music Society] was led by the brothers Josef and Baptist?Sp?rl (Stoangirglan) and was then taken over and expanded by director?Johann Sp?rl. In addition there was a yound adults’ brass ensemble?established in under the direction of the musician, Ludwig Korber, in?1936. A local chapter of the B?hmerwaldbundes [Bohemian Forest?League] was founded in 1905 with 28 members whose main interest was?agriculture.
Although the population of Alth?tten was larger than that of?Schwanenbr?ckl, it was attached to the community of Schwanenbr?ckl.?The mayor [Burgermeister] of the community in various years was from?Alth?tten but during the last years before the expulsion the?Burgermeister’s offices were in Schwanenbr?ckl. Alth?tten also had a?certified midwife who was Mrs. Anna Schmid from Waier.
In 1924 a three-room public school was built in Alth?tten. The?principal teacher [Overlehrer] was then Heinrich Cenefels. The?assistant [Lehrer] was Franz Baar. Later teachers in Alth?tten were?Josef Wild and Frau Anna Wierer.?Alth?tten lost 22 men during World War I and 40 men during World War?II.